Yesterday afternoon we got a phone call from Callen's hemotologist. Although they told us it was highly unlikely they would find anything on the first round of labs....they DID!! Callen's blood came up positive for an antigen agains her neutrophils (a type of white blood cell). She has now been diagnosed with Autoimmune Neutropenia. This means that her body does not recognize her neutrophils so it sees them as enemies and in turn produces an antigen to attack them. So although she produces neutrophiles her body destroys them before they can build up and be there to fight off any infections. The Dr. said that she can still be treated pretty normal we just have to be more cautious and it will be alot more serious if she does catch something, she will have to go in for antibiotic shots to help her body fight off infections.
The Good part about all of this is that she will likely outgrow this within the next couple of years. I read that 80% of babies that get this spontaneously outgrow it within 2 years of diagnosis. SO... although it might be a rough two years with a very paranoid mom, Callen will hopefully outgrow this and can act just like a normal child in a couple of years. I know this may not sound like good news but since in the back of my mind i've been terrified that Callen had some kind of cancer and is going to die, to me..... this sounds like really good news!
Also, great news, we shouldn't have any more trips to San Antonio to see the Dr., he just told me that she will need to get tested every 3 months to monitor her neutrophil count.
SO.... i'm feeling pretty good lately, it is really nice to just have some answers instead of having no idea what's wrong.
Also, thank you to all of you for your kind words and your support, I have so many good friends that have been so sweet to ask how we are doing and offer assistance!
bloom
10 years ago
5 comments:
I am so glad you found out and happy that it was not horrible news! I hope she stays healthy for you! Your so upbeat-that is awesome!!
I'm glad you finally got some answers! Sorry you have to be extra cautious for awhile, but hopefully she will be one of the ones to outgrow it. Good luck with everything!
Wow Crystal!!! I'm so glad that you got some answers - on the first round! Not knowing is so scary and it is so great that she has the potential to get better. I'll be calling you for staying "germ free" tips!
I don't know what's up with my subscriber - I missed this post. So glad to see that you got some answers and on the first go-around!! That's wonderful news too that it is very likely that she'll outgrow it. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!!!
YAY for not being cancer!!! I am just so sad because it seems like there is always someone sick at our house... Does that mean we can't spend time together?! Not at my house anyway!! We are so happy that the Drs. found something! Let's celebrate... (That's it's not more serious!!)
Post a Comment