Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The rest of the story...


Why did Jordan join us 3 weeks early?  Well, here is the rest of the story!

Last Wednesday I went in for a routine appointment and  because i've been measuring small the last couple of appointments they sent me for a non stress test and a growth scan.  The non stress test was fine and as far as I knew the ultrasound was fine other than it showed the baby was breech.  I was curious about what we could do to turn the baby or what the Dr.'s plans would be if she didn't turn etc etc.  So Thursday morning I called the office and talked to the Dr.  She said we could do accupuncture the next day and then if that didn't work we would try for a version (where they manually flip the baby by pushing on the outside of your stomach) early the next week.  She said she would call back later with appointment times for me.  

Dan was scheduled to leave for a week on TDY starting Saturday but because of the risk of going for an emergency c-section with a version he decided to take himself off the flight.  It was a good thing because when the dr. called back instead of telling me when my appointments were she told me they got the ultrasound report back and the baby was smaller than they liked and she was considered growth restricted.  They were worried she was so small because she was not getting enough nutrients and their plan was for me to come in the next morning to have her.  This gave me about 12 hrs. notice to get ready to have a baby.   I called Dan hysterical about having the baby so early and something being wrong etc. etc.  I called my mom and she was able to get work off and they left that night to drive through the night to get here, and I frantically started getting hospital bags and everything ready to go.  

After a very restless night we headed to the hospital.  The plan was to prep me as if I would be having a c-section and then try to flip the baby.  If the baby turned they would induce me and if not we would go straight to the c-section.  So, we went to the operating room there were all kinds of dr's and nurses and residents etc. in the room all ready but it was all for nothing because Jordan decided to be very cooperative and it took all of like 30 seconds and they had her flipped no problem.  Sooo they took me back to my room and started the pitocin.  I broke down at about a 6 and got my epidural :)  With Callen the epidural was too heavy and I couldn't feel to push and they used the vacuum and recovery was AWFUL so this time I asked them to make it super light and it definitely hurt but it was so worth it to actually be able to feel what I needed to when it was time to push.  It went super fast, I pushed through about 3 contractions and then we had our beautiful baby girl!!  I felt better within an hour after having jordan than I did weeks after I had Callen...Sooooo much better of an experience. 

Callen is being a sweet big sister but we do have to keep an eye on her as she wants to pick up the baby every chance she gets! 

Dan is helping out alot more and enjoying his girls a little more this time around as well and he gets a few days off so I get to enjoy the help.  Also, our ward and squadron here have been super sweet and we've had so many people offer meals and help, I feel so truly blessed!






8 comments:

erin j bailey said...

Congrats! She is just beautiful! I can't remember if I told you that yet. Anyway, I'm glad all is going well-- both recovery for you Crystal, and that little Jordan is doing fine as well. Have fun with both of your cute girls!

Marie said...

So glad that it all turned out okay!! She is so beautiful....I'm getting "baby hungry" just looking at her, but oh well... I'll have to live vicariously through your pictures of her ;) Congrats again!!!

Amy said...

Congrats! What a cutie!

Us said...

She is so beautiful and so are you. Congrats. Hope all is well.

Jayci said...

well congratulations!! sorry I'm so late to say it! :) Jordan is beaaauuuutiful.. I hope she is growing strong and well now. I'd be scared going in to that appointment as well, so I'm so happy that she flipped on her own and everything went just fine. What a blessing!

Thanks for offering to help Mark out while he was in St. Louis. He is on his way home now, and actually spent last night in his car in Nauvoo! haha - even through the rain he was determined to see that place. I'm glad he got to go and see the finished temple. Such a treat! Thanks Crystal!

Unknown said...

She is such a cute baby! Congrats.

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Congrats! She is so sweet!

Melissa said...

Congrats Crystal! She is a cutie!!